10 years of the (free) Crisis Negotiator Skills Sheet
It's been 10 years since I created the above skills sheet. Just a reminder, it's 100% free for you to use with your police negotiation teams. If you want the PDF, just email me.
Amazon delivery driver goes viral for dropping off package during a police standoff in North CarolinaThe video, posted on March 18, the Amazon worker is seen toting a small box up to the driveway where the apparent standoff is taking place, taking officers by surprise. As soon as they see him, they tell him to stop...
The True Story Behind ‘Waco: American Apocalypse’
“The feeling of being able to save a life at the end of it is actually very rewarding. That’s why our negotiators keep doing this year after year.”
Papua New Guinea hostage taking a ‘spur of the moment decision’The decision to take the Australian-based New Zealand archaeologist Prof Bryce Barker and his research team hostage near remote Mount Bosavi in Papua New Guinea was a “spur of the moment” decision by their captors, two of whom had been shot in an earlier encounter with security guards at a logging site.
4 Keys to Responding to a Child Expressing Thoughts of SuicideTips that can help both in your work and personal lives
Here are some thoughts to ground you in those first critical moments when your child makes a declaration or when you become aware that they are struggling with suicidal ideation. These thoughts should help you respond in the most supportive way...
Niger Credited With Negotiating Release of US Aid Worker, French Journalist
Sharpen Those Skills
I'm not sure if you've heard of the "13 Behaviors of High-Trust Leaders" but if you'd like, have a look and reflect on how each, when practiced, can make you both a better negotiator and member of your team.
- Are you on LinkedIn? It would be great to connect there too. Have a look at some of my recent NASA research shared there.
- An entire issue dedicated to police wellness: Journal of Community Safety and Well-being (free access too!) (Coming soon!) Hostage negotiator resilience: A phenomenological study of awe
- Increasing Crisis Hostage Negotiator Effectiveness: Embracing Awe and Other Resilience Practices (2022)
- Awe: Helping Leaders Address Modern Problems (2022)
- “The More You Do, the More Comfortable You Feel”: the Police Hostage and Crisis Negotiator Journey (2022)
- Crisis (hostage) negotiators weigh in: the skills, behaviors, and qualities that characterize an expert crisis negotiator (2017)
Trainings, workshops, conferences, and more (April - June)
- April 4 and 5th: Resilience Workshops for Police (multiple locations in Maryland, email me for info - it's free for police)
- April 14: Tennessee Association of Professional Mediators
- April 24 -27: Colorado Emergency Services Public Information Officers Association
- May 1-3: New England Crisis Negotiators Association
- May 16: Law Enforcement Stress Awareness & Suicide Prevention Summit (free for police, Putnam, NY)
- May 21-24: Law Enforcement and Public Health Conference (Umea, Sweden)
- June 5-9: Florida Association of Hostage Negotiators Conference (June 5-9)
- June 17: NYU 1-Day Course, Modern Leadership: A Goal-Focused & Human-Centered Approach
- See what Scott Tilema is up to in the coming months
- See what Andy Young is up to in the coming months
- See what Crisis Systems Management is up to in the coming months
- SAFELEO Executive Police Trainings
- April 12: Oklahoma Crisis Negotiators Conference
- April 17-21: LLRMI/Mark Lowther 5-Day Basic Course (Birmingham, AL)
- April 24: PATC Hostage Negotiators Conference (Las Vegas)
- April 25-26: Arizona Tactical Officers Association Hostage Negotiator Conference
- April 24-26: Illinois Association of Hostage Negotiators Conference
- May 22-26: Big Sky Negotiators Round-up (Montana)
- May 24-26: NYAHN Conference
- Did I miss your event? Send me an email and I'll include it in an upcoming newsletter.